Saturday, September 01, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad!



Yup, that's me in that picture. And no, I have no idea what he was eating.

Ok, he'll probably never see this because he lacks the interwebs and he really, really does not like computers, but I can't let his 58th birthday pass without a little tribute.

My dad is probably the best dad ever. Yeah, I know everyone says that about their dad, but it's really true. He's got the most strict ethics of anyone I've ever met, but he doesn't judge others if they don't live to the same standards. He worked as a Wildlife Biologist for the State of Louisiana since before I was born and just retired a couple of years ago from the same job. Even though he and my mom divorced when I was 4, they've never been bitter and have been great friends since... well, since forever.

My son Richard is named after my dad, and the three of us (me, my son, and my dad) are three peas in a pod when it comes to a sense of humor. The more slapstick, the better. I was raised on Bugs Bunny-filled Saturday mornings and Three Stooges on VHS.

But for the most part, the best part about my dad is his absolute kindness. He'll go very far out of his way to help a stranger, and even farther for friends and family. I've worked in a soup kitchen with him on Thanksgiving Day, and that was probably the happiest I've ever seen him.

No comments: