You'd think that I'd used up all of my bad knitting mojo with that felted jumper, now wouldn't you? Alas, that is not the case.
I have another disaster. I've been working on the Mediterranean Lace shawl on and off for a year for my mother.
I borrowed a friend's Gathering of Lace for the pattern and happily used the printed yarn requirements to order 1800yds of mini-coned zephyr, thinking I would have more than enough.
(The edition I was using called for 8 (200yd) skeins of Jamieson & Smith laceweight.)
Here's the kicker. After turning the corner on the first large segment, I started hitting lots of chart errors, so looked up the errata. I had noticed that I was going through yarn quickly, but thought that maybe that first section was just much larger than the "wings." Oh my. In the errata, I found out that the actual yarn requirements were FOUR TIMES what I had ordered.
(Actual yarn needed is 16 (360yd) skeins of Jamieson & Smith cobweb-weight.)
Gah. It's been a year, so no way am I going to try to match dye lots now.
There is no way I can salvage the original piece without tearing my hair out (I really don't want to turn it into a big rose-trellis triangle). So, instead, I need to figure out something I can knit with 1200-1800 yds of white zephyr without driving myself crazy. My mom likes the stole-shaped stuff the most, so I'm looking heavily at a madeira-based Japanese pattern.
Sorry for the novel, I just needed to unload a bit. Maybe another cup of tea will make the pain go away a little.....